Monday, June 9, 2014

Monday

Dear Diary,

I have been visiting family in California this past week. I have enjoyed all the extra time that I got to visit catching up with what is going on as our families are growing up. Vacation is a great time to stop and enjoy new adventures as we get to see and try new things with those we love.

 I guess the real excitement was that we got to experience our first earthquake. It was nothing like what  I would have thought it would be. We were at my mother's condo and I was in the hall getting a towel as my daughter was heading to the bathroom to shower. My husband was sitting on the couch and mom was in the kitchen. We were all going about our own business when the floor and walls began to shake. The first thought that went through my head was that the neighbors upstairs were stomping around making the building shake but when the shaking stopped it hit me as I walked into the kitchen asking my mother if that was an earthquake. She confirmed it as we all gathered to talk about our experience. My husband who is handy with his phone found that it registered as a 3.8. Very exciting for us Texas people.What was funny was that my husband had the same thoughts about the upstairs neighbor as I did.

The next day we went to the Pompeii exhibit where the museum did a simulated earthquake to give the effect of what it was like. I thought it was nothing like what we had experienced but thought  it was ironic that within twenty four hours we had two earthquake experiences.  One real and one simulated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment