Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Wednesday

Dear Diary,

Today was different then my usual day as I got to go with my friend Robin to help hand out donation checks to the different food pantries in the area. You may already know of her as "Robin on the Roof". She is my friend who had the dream to sit on the roof of a building to bring awareness of hunger in the world. Last year she went viral on Facebook and has started to really work on trying to help the food pantries stock up for families and many who need the services. Her campaign is not only for the local pantries and food banks but is world wide. She has been doing this for the last five years and each year she ups the poundage to get her off the roof when she goes up in June.

Today was about educating some of the volunteers as we went to visit the different food pantries and local food banks. It helps so much to see first hand where the food and money is going to. Each of the locations that we went to were different from each other as to the organizing the food and volunteers. I was surprised of the how many people who were in need that were struggling to make ends meet even with jobs. Then there are the elderly who are alone or trying to make it on limited incomes.

I watched an elderly couple turned away who were asked to come back in two weeks because they could only use the food bank a few times a month because of the limits of food being handed out. My heart broke for them as I saw them walk away. To make it clear some of the food banks are funded by the government and then there are other food banks and pantries that are run by the churches who may or may not have the food to support the families and the communities that they help. We were at one food pantry at a church who said that they didn't refuse anyone who was in need of food. That was good to hear!  They even were feeding a kitten that someone dropped off.

I did talk to Robin about organizing a webpage on her Robin on the Roof website to post a list of all the food banks in the DFW area with the amount of times you can go per month. My thought was that a person who is in need of the services only has to go to one website to find all the information online. I know that libraries offer free use of computers and anyone can plug in if they want to help another person who is in need. I also talked to her about posting the free clinics etc... I think we can do this... I am going to talk to my husband about building it on her website for her tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment